Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content



If you are a council or housing association tenant whose home is too big (or too small) you have a few options. You may pursue more than one option at once to increase your chances of finding a transfer to a more suitable home.


If you are over crowded and a social tenant you may register for a transfer. You will be assessed and most likely placed into Band 3. You will need to bid for a larger home from those properties that become available through Homesearch. However, waiting times for larger properties are likely to be longer than for smaller properties.

You can also search for a mutual exchange if you are an existing social tenant. Your chances of success are likely to be higher than in the past due to the number of people looking to downsize due to welfare reform.